Friday, February 29, 2008

What Kind Of Upline Are You?

To add to my last post, I just want to do a short rant on a serious problem I see in the network marketing industry.

The problem is that people are constantly being recruited into the MLM industry, told they'll get all the "training" they need, and then left all alone to either sink or swim.

I am completely baffled by this behavior! I mean, in network marketing-now, stop me if I'm wrong here-you're success is directly proportionate to the success of your entire organization (aka "downline"-such a derogatory term, don't you think?)

Is that correct or am I just completely misinterpreting the entire concept of network marketing MLM?

Now, with that being the case, it's awfully strange how:
  1. There is a HUGE market for network marketing MLM "training" programs, books, tapes, etc. Now, knowing me and the way I get my hands on everything and anything industry wide, do you know how many "webinars" I've been to that advertised "MLM training" in one form or another then turned out to be opportunity pitches in disguise? Why? Because the smart marketers behind these "webinars" know the gravity of this huge problem of uplines not doing any kind of training and support!
  2. So many people I've encountered in my travels online are completely TURNED AGAINST network marketing MLM. This is an industry whose target market is people who have no experience building a business, online or off, and whose "product" is the opportunity to OWN YOUR OWN BUSINESS! HELLO? These people join because they are told that they'll be taught how to make this work. In reality, they're on their own.
  3. Right now, I am working, on a daily basis, with a woman who has been with the same company as I am for over a year longer than I have! Why? Because her upline just kept telling her "it would soon be her turn" and promising to build her business for her, eventually. Never even offering the option of the chance to learn how to build her business herself!
  4. As I said in "The Give And Take Of Internet Marketing," I am always trying to learn more, hone my skills, etc. Now, when I started with the MLM company I'm with, I was strictly an affiliate marketer. When I was "recruited," I said that I was pretty up to speed on the technical stuff and the getting people to opt-in and what have you, BUT, that I would definitely need some mentoring when it came to prospecting and closing and things like that.
    Of course, I was told that my "upline" would be there for me whenever I needed him. What actually happened was that the person who I spoke to on the phone put me under someone else! Someone who couldn't really care less about building a real business, more or less a "testing the waters" network marketer.
    That would've been fine, everyone has to start somewhere and I wouldn't have a problem with being under someone who was inexperienced, BUT, in that case, THEIR upline should be stepping up to the plate and training. I even received and email when I 1st started that said "you recruit them, we'll train them."

    Most people would've quit,and I know a lot do-that's the point of this whole post...

    and I would've too if it wasn't for 2 things:
    1. The company itself. I love the products and I had a really good feeling about the people in charge.
    2. When push came to shove, and I could get nowhere with my upline, I decided to take a chance and go straight to the top. I actually contacted the CEO of my company and told him my dilemma. I showed him the "Web 2.0 Empire" that I had built (and am still building) and explained that I am not about to give up on this company. It is a perfect match to the content that I write for my primary blog and website, "How To Build Your Web 2.0 Empire." I told him, without naming names, what had been going on. He replied to my email within the hour with a video mail. He offered to have me come to his house, if possible (which, is difficult since I live in Pa and he lives in Las Vegas), or at least to provide mentorship over the phone. Do you know what that meant to me? Here's the facts, because of his generosity:
        1. I'll never leave this company unless it closes for some reason (which I highly doubt) or they throw me out.
        2. Nothing, that selfish upline leaders within the company can do to tarnish things, can change the fact that the CEO is, by far, one of the finest examples of leadership you'll ever find in the whole network marketing MLM industry.

          You Can Get His Book, "The Book On Network Marketing" Free Over There To Your Right>>>

          I personally asked him permission to give it away because "I wanted my prospects to be able to read it and know how this business is really supposed to be and understand the values of the CEO, and my personal mentor."
        3. Even though I was told that my upline had once said, in response to being questioned about why he refused to work with me despite my obvious enthusiasm, "She's not a heavy-hitter, I only work with hitters." you can bet your life that I will make it my personal mission to build one hell of a success story through this company. With help from the very top, you can't go wrong!
        4. Every single person who comes in under me is going to be treated right. I wanted to share this story so that my readers more fully understand the reasons why I am so passionate about training within the network marketing MLM industry. It's not because it's some marketing ploy to lure in people in the industry, it's because I know what it's like to be left there to fail miserably by my upline.

I wrote this post and "The Give And Take Of Internet Marketing" for my readers/subscribers. Since I've started the "Web 2.0 Blueprint" project, I have stated that I am actively taking in "students." Due to the overwhelming number of "false training" ploys I've seen out there, I just wanted to make it clear why I do what I do and the fact that I really don't want anything from those of you who seek help from me. So, there you go, call me if you need me!


No comments: